Thursday, January 03, 2008

first blush (part 2)

how often do you get to chronicle your "first date"?

not very often perhaps; unless, your first date happened when you were already way past legal age.

unfortunately for me, my 14-years-and-3-month-old self had decided to write down an account of my first date.

I must have felt very euphoric that day since I wrote the entry in the middle of the night. Whatever had happened that day must have been really significant because I included several other details as I began the entry, as though I wanted my future self to accurately reconstruct the whole experience.

Here's another account of teenage infatuation and hormones:

PSHS-MC Dorm Room #3
12:55 AM, Sept. 12, 1992

Dear Diary,

I had one of the most exciting moments of my life. For the first time in my personal history, In dated the girl who turned my life inside out. It was quite a thrilling experience for a first-timer like me.

We met at Galaxy Arcade at 12:45 PM and we went inside Galaxy Theater at five minutes to one. Even though she was acompanied by a friend, he looked harmless.

I feel timid, however, whenever somebody accompanies me and a girl.

The movie was entitled, "Universal Soldier".

After the movie, we went to JS Gaisano for a break. She ordered Double Dutch and I ordered Mocha. We ate with my friend, Sherleen. What was funny about it was that my friend kept on telling me to speak to my date.

Well, here goes my shyness...I always feel nervous when talking to girls, so I can't blame my self. It's my nature, "gets"?

At about 20 minutes past four, I bade her adieu. She thanked me with an enchanting smile. Guess what? It sent a shiver to my bones.

Well, let me first tell you the preview to all these happiness. It all started one Sunday evening. My roommates and I made a bet that if they could invite a girl to the movies, I would treat them both. So the following day, after school, they all told me that they already had their dates: Juanito-Sherleen, Elson-Cheryl, Valmes-Mara. I was the onle one left who didn't have a partner.

Tuesday and Wednesday passed and still no prospects.

Thursday, I asked one of my classmates. Karina, if she could come this Saturday. Unluckily, she had research work to do. I was downhearted, sad. I thought that it might be better for me if I didn't have any partner at all.

That evening, after dinner, as I filed my gate pass, we met Wowie, a friend and roommate of ***. Juanito told Wowie that I didn't have a partner for Saturday. So she told me not to worry, she would bridge me and the girl. I was about to go back to our dorm when Wowie and Sherleen called me over. They said that if I really wanted to date the girl, I must tell her frankly. They told me that the girl didn't like "torpes" and that if I expressed my feelings openly, it would be much better. They suggested that I invite the girl. At first, I thought it was silly. However, they told me it was true and that I must do it and act right now.

So, Wowie called for the girl. I waited downstairs. When she came down, she wore a spohisticated look. I was aghast! When I started to speak, I was acting foolishly and mind you, I started to be politer than an Englishman. She answered that she will not yet compromise because they still  have research work on Saturday morning. She told me that if she could come, she will inform me on Friday. I said, Goodnight. and away I went. I lost my voice and I treated my friends with one chocobar each.

The following morning, I went to class early. Again, Sherleen told me to ask the girl if she would come. I thought I was going to ask her at recess time but my friend insisted--"RIGHT NOW!" From what I heard, it was more an order. She made arrangements with the girl that we will talk and I summoned up my guts and lo, there goes me and my life..her answer will determine my honor, my life, and dignity.

The confrontation:
"Hi, ***! Tungkol sa napag-usapan natin kagabi, payag ka ba?"
She whizzed for a while and said, "Sige."
That was music to my ears. I couldn't believe she said that. I was deeply overjoyed. Wowie, John, Sherleen, Elson, Val, Mervin, and some of my other friends were happy for me.

Finally, after spending a year of seclusion and implementing a "closed door policy" on love, I was returning back to civilization. I just can't tell whether I will jump or simply be on Cloud 9. Truly, Love is marvelous.

[A stray note from the same entry]
She looked sexier in a red polo shirt and faded tight fitting jeans. Of course, she wore that mysterious smile.

If I were to teach my 14-year-old self three lessons from this experience, it would be:

Lesson 1: Never settle for a chaperoned date. Especially if the chaperone happens to be a heterosexual male friend of the girl. No matter how harmless he may look, he is still male, and heterosexual.

Lesson 2: "Universal Soldier" isn't exactly a date movie. While you may have thought that the Romans went to see gladiator fights with their dates, this isn't Rome and this isn't the glory days of the empire.

Lesson 3: Never ever smile when you're eating mocha ice cream. Enough said.


17 comments:

lyka tan said...

hahahaha..funny man to..kilig ka diyan noh

Ulysses Salgado Cabayao said...

after 16 years, it's becoming even funnier! i think I already told that story in class, no?

lyka tan said...

yup yup..

edz garcia said...

hehe... first time i heard this story.. cute.. *sigh* hahaha!

Linus Pagusara said...

hahahaha!!!! i think i heard you tell this story a couple years back.. still, so funny to look back and.. hahah... universal soldier, my used to be fave movie!!

jordan orbe said...

hahaha!!! very "young love sweet love" pero kelan ba yung unforgettable date conversation starter mo na "do you know how many bridges there are in (somewhere, i forgot the place)"? is this same date?

Ulysses Salgado Cabayao said...

@jordy
hahahaha! you didn't forget that huh! oh, that's worth another entry. iba pa yun. i would call that my first attempt at using a pick-up line.. oh, and the girl was from CDO. hahaha.

@edz,
hi eds! =)

@linus,
sa sexuality seminar ko ba to nakwento? hehe
enjoy naman yung universal soldier, d ba? =)

Luisa Elago said...

Pisay ka pala bro?
wala kang sinabi sakin ah!
:))

Ulysses Salgado Cabayao said...

yeah, kaya nga hindi na-develop ang EQ ko. hahaha.

Linus Pagusara said...

i can't exactly remember when.. but it sounds so familiar and...universal soldier isn't exactly the date movie type.. hahah

Luisa Elago said...

HAHAHAHAHA!
pisay kasi dad ko...
sinamahan ko nga siya nung isang
araw sa alumni homecoming niyo :))

Michelle Bugante said...

oh my god! this is horrible! *guffaws*

you're shy?! yuck. hahaha. if i remember correctly, you're too mayabang to be shy! ahhahaah... :D

anyway, i think i have entries like this too somewhere in my old GRADE SCHOOL notebooks. i puke every time i read them. haha. gad, i think age has something to do with our level of corniness. the younger, the cornier. but well, corny is endearing, i guess.

remain corny!!!:D

Jose Miguel Imperio said...

well, look on the bright side... it was something that makes look back and ponder...

Eric Santillan said...

bai, the best ni! hahahaha.

this made me sit up and laugh so hard. and it's 330AM now?!

many familiar names there (i.e. juanito, etc.) but i guess if you really want to make peace with your 14 year old self, you'd mention the girl's name. hahaha.

of course, we all have the right to remain silent. :p

admittedly, i am a mushy fool also. but shet, can't still get over the fact that you started your entry with DEAR DIARY.

hahaha!

Ulysses Salgado Cabayao said...

wahaha! kaila ka ani, bay!

angel quianzon said...

haha... pacorny-han ng entries. although i think this one wins over my "the one i will never get over" blog. nikwento mo na to before, but it's different when you read the actual diary entry. hihihihi =) kadire! hahaha! somehow, you're still the same...

Eric Santillan said...

read this again just now. by the way, what do you mean by "she wore a sophisticated look"? what's a "sophisticated look" brad? :-)