Tuesday, January 08, 2008

autodidactic

i'm wasting my time in school.

in fact, i've wasted much of my life trying to learn inside the classroom. my real education, however, happened beyond the course curriculum. i breezed through grade school, high school, college, and graduate school in the hope of getting a good education. Admittedly, I didn't learn anything worthwhile. In fact, I always read the books that weren't required for class. I enjoyed and devoured them more than I did the handouts and textbooks that I was required to study. Consequently, I was not successful in school. I was a failure.

But I never allowed my schooling to interfere with my education. I have learned many things on my own. I have picked up new skills by self-study. The world of books has been my university. With the internet, learning has been made even easier and faster.

I continued to learn even when formal schooling took up much of my time. Even though I have been given the privilege of a good schooling, it only stifled my love for learning.

for all its merits, formal education has a way of making you feel bad about yourself. you get graded and you lose your interest in learning for learning's sake. you study to get a good grade, instead. you fret about how your future will be ruined when you don't get that BS, MA, or PhD.

life often has a sense of irony. sometime ago, i became a teacher. on many occassions, i had students who felt bad about themselves because they didn't make the grade. I pitied them but the educational system has its rules and you have to play by the rules. the sadder thing was, I upheld and implemented the very system i was against.




No comments: