Wednesday, January 02, 2008

first blush (part 1)

(this is the actual journal)
Rummaging through the scattered mess in search of my room's key, I found an old journal which I had when I was still in first year high school. I leisurely leafed through the stained and yellowing pages, forgetting all about the key. Entry by entry, I relived scenes from my adolescent awakening.

A journal is like a snapshot. They preserve who you were at a certain point in time. That could be a good thing. Or it could also make a turn for the worst.

Like looking at I-swear-I-didn't-look-that-way-before pictures, my own journal entries made me cringe at how  embarrassing I must have sounded as a high school freshman.

here's a "lovestruck" entry from September 4, 1991, Wednesday:

Dearest Aphrodite,

Thy son Eros struck me with his arrow of love. The muse of poetry once again inspired my soul, even though the goddess of discord called me a poetaster. Still she can't stop my decision, I'm going to write "her" a poem.

Even the Fates can't cut my life short for Love is the strongest force on earth--mortal or immortal, intelligent or dull, lover or hater--all fall under its spell. Apollo had struck his lyre, from which came the language of the soul. Zeus made me a destiny--a destiny to love a girl with the likeness of Artemis, the mortal beauty of Helen, and the warmth of Vesta.

At first sight, I was struck by Thor's lightning. Odin's revens Huynim and Munim provided me an intellect to know her attitude. Even Mimir, the guradian of the wisdom well, offered water from the well for me to use my knowledge in order to court her.

Loki,however, didn't seem to care. Freya made her as beautiful as ever, Balder enriched her with a kind and good heart where no mistletoe of evil could destroy her.

Truly, this time I feel like being in heaven, in Olympus or Asgard, wherever the place is, paradise is with me wherever she goes.

Eew.

Dear Self at Age 13,

I understand the infatuated talk.
But invoking the mythologies you enjoyed as a young kid and using them to express what you feel inside is just, well, geeky.

Good luck with your adult life.

From your Self at Age 30.


15 comments:

lyka tan said...

hahahahaha... literature talaga..hehe

Ulysses Salgado Cabayao said...

kadiri talaga yang entry na yan. hahaha. may mga drinowing pa ako nun na mga heart-heart na may arrow sa entry na yan. hahaha

lyka tan said...

hahaha..ipicture mo mga drawings mo..hehe

Ulysses Salgado Cabayao said...

hehehe. hiya ako. may pangalan kasi dun. para kasing I [heart with arrow] NAME. tapos may mga flying hearts pa pala. haha.

lyka tan said...

wahahaha..who? alam ko un name?hehe

Ulysses Salgado Cabayao said...

nope,, hehe

lyka tan said...

hahahaha..cno man yan?! haha

Melody Florendo said...

alala ko yung kwento mo tungkol sa crush mo nung first year high school ka, siya na?

lyka tan said...

dami yan crush..hehe

Melody Florendo said...

haha. jiga

jordan orbe said...

yup. "eew" just about sums it up for me. hehe. dear poch at whatever age, once a geek always a geek. but you are a geek who chills!!! hahaha

edz garcia said...

hahaha.. well, if i was younger i would probably didnt feel the "geeky" feeling.. hehe.. nice entry though.. =)

Michelle Bugante said...

oh my gad! this is worse than the second one (which i read first). oh my gad! what a NERDY freshman! i'm impressed. you actually wrote that way when you were a freshman?! hahahaha... beats my own prince charming daydreams! hahaha. gad gad gad.

pero well, nothing wrong with being a geek. I'd choose a geek over an airhead anytime! haha. just tone it down a bit.

again, stay geeky!:D

Eric Santillan said...

i think you'll always be a nerd, brad.

but "closet nerd" naka karon. so that makes you cool. hahaha

tara estrera said...

dang, u were REALLY nerdy then ah. haha and i couldn't help but laugh at ur display pic. nice one bro. haha!