Monday, March 05, 2007

thoughts on bamboo's rendition of a carole king classic

So far away
Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore
It would be so fine to see your face at my door
Doesn't help to know that you're just time away

Long ago I reached for you and there you stood
Holding you again could only do me good
How I wish I could, but you're so far away

One more song about movin' along the highway
Can't say much of anything that's new
If I could only work this life out my way
I'd rather spend it bein' close to you

But you're so far away
Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore
It would be so fine to see your face at my door
Doesn't help to know you're so far away

Travelin' around sure gets me down and lonely
Nothin' else to do but close my mind
I sure hope the road don't come to own me
But there's so many dreams I've yet to find

But you're so far away
Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore
It would be so fine to see your face at my door
And it doesn't help to know you're so far away

-->
"so far away...doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore..."

it must be echoing some deep-set sentiment, this song. bamboo's rendition gets to me when i listen to it. some old songs have that effect. you play them and they transport you back in time when that same song had some meaning to you. i'm not sure though what meaning it had for me for that hypothetical "then".

i grew up listening to "high school life" and "don't cry for me, argentina". i listened to these songs, brimming with emotions, profound feelings that surely a four or seven year old would not have understood. yet, i recall moments when i actually shed tears listening to Sharon Cuneta wax about high school when i haven't even reached grade one!

songs follow a logic of their own. so does the heart, as Pascal reminds us. it's quite a miracle when you have lyrics that perfectly match the melody. both these elements intertwine inextricably. you forcibly take one out and the song dies.

miracles also happen when you have songs that fill the gaps in your consciousness. these gaps are often the things you haven't really figured out that much. it cries out silently. it screams mutely. only the song soothes. only the melody assures.

and you just quietly sing along...

7 comments:

Michelle Bugante said...

otey:D its a nice post.. not weird at all. my posts are actually weirder:D

Michelle Bugante said...

you're a peculiar kid:D very very special! (may be taken in a negative sense! hahah) but you know, wat i cried wen kingkong fell off the empire state building wen i was four or something. then i cried to little foot, and little foot's song always makes me cry too. add to the list titanic's music video. with all those, i can flood zamboanga. hahaha.

Ulysses Salgado Cabayao said...

i cried watching "land b4 time" too.. wawa kasi si little foot. tapos i remembered, feeling lonely after watching "an american tail". yung mouse doon was singing, "somewhere out there, beneath the pale moonlight.."

Michelle Bugante said...

eheheheheh.:) an american TAIL?! not tale? hehe.:D na, we're both cry beybes...

Ulysses Salgado Cabayao said...

i just realized..we might have been emotionally intelligent as kids! hahaha.

Michelle Bugante said...

oo nga.. coz i pitied kingkong kasi wala siyang kasalanan. he was peaceful dun sa jungle. it was man hu brought him to the city:d

Ulysses Salgado Cabayao said...

tey, i'll repost this ha so others could read it, as well.. you told me it was a nice post so i'm re=postiing this. hehehe.